It can be a big project to update an entire kitchen, but you want the job done right. Before starting on the tile flooring and cabinets, there are several things you should do to prepare for updating your kitchen.
Determine How You Want the Project to Be Done
Do you have the space and time to do this yourself? Are you going to hire out specific tasks to contractors or do the job yourself?
For example, if you want to install the cabinets and tile the floor, you can hire someone to do the tile job. On the other hand, if you have the time, you can save money by doing some work yourself. This is especially true if you have the experience and tools for the task.
Find Out How Much Time You Need for the Project
Another consideration is how much time you have to dedicate to the project. Some projects can be done over the weekend, while others require several weeks.
If your budget allows you to, try to find a time of year to take a break from other tasks and have extra time to dedicate to the kitchen update project.
Have Some Leeway for the Unexpected
It’s a good idea to budget for the unexpected during the project. That way, you can plan for additional costs and the time you will need for any snags during the project.
Examples of things you might need to budget for are:
- Sub-par materials from a supplier
- An unexpected fixture breaking that needs to be replaced
- A prolonged time for permits to be approved
Once you have considered the above factors, you can figure out how much time and money you need for the remodel project.
Check Your Priorities for What Needs to Be Done
If you are remodeling your kitchen, there are many opportunities to personalize your space. However, you should consider the following guidelines:
- Details to Keep – While you may want to change the look and feel of the kitchen, think about keeping some of the original aspects of the space. For example, if you do a full remodel, you might want to keep the kitchen cabinets and countertops. This way, you will avoid the hassle of trying to sell the original kitchen or moving it all to a new place.
- Function – A functional kitchen is easy for you to use daily. Consider the style of the kitchen, but also the appliances that are most important for you to have.
- Your Style – If you love to cook and entertain, you may want to have a functional, attractive kitchen. If this is your idea of a beautiful kitchen, you might want to focus on features such as lighting, cabinetry, and countertops.
Also, remember that the kitchen isn’t just about the cooking area. You should also consider how the new space will work for other chores, such as laundry and cleaning.
Set Up a Temporary Kitchen
It’s one thing to plan on renovating your kitchen. It’s also important to plan what you will do while the work is being done.
It can be a hassle to deal with a limited cooking area while the remodel is on. Instead of cooking in a tiny space, you can create a makeshift kitchen.
The key to doing this well is to plan and ensure that you have the correct tools to make it work. It’s a good idea to talk to your contractor about your plans for the temporary kitchen. This way, you can determine what you need to minimize the inconvenience of the job.
The Road to Your Dream Kitchen
The renovation process can be much smoother if you have an idea of what you want to see in your new kitchen and what needs to be done to make that happen. Once you have your priorities, you can start creating a plan and getting estimates from contractors.
Let us help you with your kitchen remodel in El Dorado Hills here at Terra Inc. Construction. We are based in El Dorado County, and we do residential construction, additions, and remodeling projects. Get in touch with us today.